7/19/2012

New motor, kinda Frankenstein.

I had only bored the cylinder and installed a new piston and ring set in the original motor when this bike was first tagged.Now the right side motor case is from a honda ATC 110, I wanted it for the larger crank and cylinder area in case I make a stroker out of it later. The large oil pump was a bonus! The 2 cases side by side above shows the different oil pump passage and the area around the kick starter that had to be modified to fit it, atc 3 wheelers have no kick starters. You can see I had to remove lots of metal to make it function. The right side case is from a Honda CM90. I wanted to do away with the Hi/Lo sub transmission of the ct90 and make it look smoother! It also makes it easyer to try different front sprocket sizes. The left side cover is from a Honda CL90, the sprocket cover is from a Honda S90. The transmission, shifter, drum, and manual clutch cover was from a CL90. Clutch is all N.O.S. Honda S90. The crank is from the CL90 with new bearings. The transmission has new bearings too! I used the CT90 complete head and cylinder set, from the original motor, just repainted it and the intake manifold. The clutch cover already had the vent installed so I just went with it. It is much quieter now and runs much better at high R.P.M.s! It is very different to ride now with a manual transmission! I changed the shift drum to get the normal 1 down 3 up shifting pattern and now need to relearn how to shift.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I just saw your comment you placed at Tiddlerosis on my CA-160 page. The comment did not show up on the page. You must not have signed up for Disqus. I read the comment in my e-mail. I think your Chopper 90 is cool! Did you read the posts about my first Honda, a CA-100 that I turned first into a trail bike, then into a Chopper Cub, and then converted it back to stock and got $5 more as a trade-in than I had paid for it used three years earlier?

    ReplyDelete